Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Teaching Methods

I have to admit that I was nervous about this class because I'm not an education major.  I was worried that I wouldn't be able to relate anything in the class to my profession and it would be really frustrating. 
I am very happy that, that is not the case.  I have learned a lot about teaching from this class that I have found very useful.  Even though I am not going to be a teacher myself, I have found that learning about teachers and their methods is something very beneficial.  

One of the things I have found useful is learning about different teaching methods, i.e. behaviorism etc.  Even though I personally will not use teaching methods myself as an interpreter, I think it's important to learn about them in order to better understand where teachers are coming from and also to build a good relationship with them.  As an interpreter the better I understand the teacher, their method and where they are coming from, the better I can interpret for the student and help them.  I also think having an understanding of these methods is beneficial because I might be able to give advise to the teacher or helpful tips of what might help the deaf student if their method isn't working.


I think that's one of the most important things I am learning in this class.  I am learning about teaching and teachers and the many forms of both.  As an interpreter I feel this is important because I now have a better understanding about what's out there and all the different kinds of people I will possibly be working with.  It's important for me to understand teachers just as much as it's important for teachers to understand me.  The better our understanding, the better our relationship which in turn helps the education of the student.

No comments:

Post a Comment