Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Learning Environment

One of the most important things for children or really anyone who is a student is a good learning environment.  I liked how we discussed this in class and had everyone share their ideas of a perfect, or good classroom.  There were so many good ideas that came up and good points that were made.  When Megan and I were sitting down and worked out how we wanted our classroom to be, we looked at it from the perspective of a classroom designed for kids who are deaf.  One of the main features of this involved the desks being placed in the  semi-circle in the front of the class.  I personally love this set up, even though it's not ideal in every classroom.  I think it provides a good environment where the teacher can see all students but also where all the students can see each other.  In a deaf classroom this is ideal, and I think it could be very useful and productive in a regular mainstreaming environment as well.  

Another things that I think is really important is the idea of a chill corner.  This is a good idea for kids with special needs, or kids who just need a break sometimes.  It shows the kids that you trust them, and also that you care about them enough to know when they might need a few minutes to themselves.  Megan and I discussed putting a rug over there, a few magazines, a plant and maybe even a fish tank or something like that.  These things are all very relaxing and soothing, however, they also provide sensory inputs as well both visually and hands on.  This can help if you are dealing with a kid with autism or even a deaf student.  


When it comes to being an interpreter I think it's very important for the teacher and interpreter to have a relationship.  By creating a good relationship, the teacher and interpreter can work to create the best learning environment for the deaf student.  One of the most important things in this is a good seat in the classroom, not only for the student but for the interpreter.  Having a good seating arrangement can be the difference between the student learning the material or not.  I think it's important for teachers to trust the interpreter and work with them when it comes to seating.  It might not be exactly what you want, but it's what's the best for your student.

2 comments:

  1. Of course, I'm totally biased reading this, because I'm in the same boat, but I'm still in agreement with the way the classroom should be set up. I do love the idea of a chill corner because students, regardless of age, maturity level, or degree of special education need to just sit in a quiet and relaxing place and find their peace before continuing through the day. I feel that many behavioral issues that arise during the day can be avoided by using the chill corner. The main concern for that, of course, is having students abuse that privilege.
    And of course, interpreter/teacher relationship is vital. Open communication is a must, in both expressive and receptive areas. There is a fine balance there, but I feel that when the interpreter and teacher are in unison, the deaf student, as well as the other students have an opportunity to witness good teamwork and communication skills that are essential for students of any age.
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas, Jenny. I liked how you focused on creating the optimal environment for a deaf student.

    ReplyDelete